Monday, November 19, 2007

1in6.org

1 in 6, it's the horrible statistics of men having suffered forms of sexual abuse in their childhood.

I just found out that Greg LeMond got involved with the nonprofit 1in6.org.

Go visit their website for more information.
This organization has for mission to help men start recovery from sexual abuse in young adulthood, and not in the more observed late 30's or 40's.

Greg became a board member in September. The newsletter from 1in6 indicates:

Most recently Greg's courage and personal fortitude was made obvious when he spoke publicly for the first time about his own abusive sexual experiences in childhood. His recovery and desire to reach out and help others has brought him to a place of wanting to be involved with 1in6 as we launch our outreach and program efforts. We applaud Greg's candor and forthrightness in speaking about the issue and welcome him with great excitement to the 1in6 founding board.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there at your Lionheart lunch. I got your autograph for my son. I know you don't want to be the posterboy for boyhood sexual abuse,maybe that would be a good ad slogan. I took your autograph home and along with your advice to take up cycling- I showed my son who has been thru treatment now for a few years, but I wanted him to know there are strong and courageous men willing to speak up and assist boys like my son and the many others who find it so hard to talk about and services lacking. He said "why did you remind me" but said he thought you were cool and he asked about cycling. It's good to know there are people like you out there trying to help boys and men heal. E's mama in Kansas City

Claire D. said...

Thank you for your message.

I'm just a fan of Greg LeMond doing this blog to gather news about him, I don't have any connection with him, but I'll try to get your message to be forwarded to him in a way. Thanks again!