Monday, November 26, 2007

El Tour de Tucson: LeMond and Rideclean

Greg LeMond was at El Tour de Tucson last November 16th and 17th, with his son Geoffrey. They rode the 109-miles event. I didn't find out whether they finished... I just saw on cyclingnews.com that Greg got a flat.

He also spoke about doping before the event in an interview to Tucson Citizen:

While Greg LeMond rides the 109-mile El Tour de Tucson on Saturday, his mind will play on different themes.
One, the prestige he knows he brings to the 25th anniversary, which could have a record 10,000 participants.
Two, one of the most important things in life, health - his own, his family's and even that of the American public in general.
And three, the issue that is rocking his sport to its heels - doping.

"I've known for many years it was a time bomb that would eventually go off," said LeMond, who travels the country to speak about clean riding and health. "And I'm quite happy it has gone off. Now the sport can start over again, go free."
LeMond was the first American to win the World Series of cycling - the Tour de France. He won the event three times - 1986, 1989 and 1990 - the last two being sheer-guts attempts after he recovered from a serious hunting accident that prevented him from reaching the form he had in '86.
Saturday is LeMond's third Tour de Tucson. The first was the 33-miler in 2000, and the second was the full 111 miles, which defied his glory days.
"I blew up when I hit the (Sabino Creek) crossing," he said. "I knew where my hotel was, and I went straight back and had lunch."
He wants to go the full 109 Saturday but knows he'll be far off the pace.
"I'm 50 pounds heavier than at my riding weight," the 205-pound LeMond said.


Greg also wore a Rideclean jersey, and Rideclean.net is indicating that they would like to work with him as a spokesperson.

No comments: